Monday, January 3, 2011

• War and Peace

As usual, I "accidentally" ended up watching a show tonight on war; specifically, it was a NatGeo channel documentary on American soldiers in combat in Afghanistan. The filmmakers recorded it while embedded with the soldiers. The soldiers were stationed in the mountains and were engaging in shooting combat with the enemy through the woods, etc. I forget all the technical terms and names of locations, but the impression in my mind and heart is very clear.

Here's what I saw and felt.

I saw really good men, really noble men, with high ideals and very active egos, swearing a lot and scared but acting tough. They were good at what they did, they busted their friggin' asses, and had a strong desire to be successful, protect America, and make their families proud of them.

I saw how they reacted when a fellow soldier was killed, and though I can't in my wildest dreams pretend to know how they felt or feel, it was incredibly, horribly sad just to see. Some men cried, some men just worked harder and told themselves they'd deal with the emotions later. But they all were fueled with the fire to do MORE, work HARDER, fight BETTER, and KILL THE ENEMY ever more profoundly.

It was inspiring to see their dedication and passion; it was heartbreaking to see them filled with hate.

Again, I first would like to reiterate my cluelessness here in that I've never experienced war on the front lines. So, I don't understand the anger that the group of soldiers felt when they heard that 9 other soldiers, in a different company, had been killed by the enemy. I don't understand, but I know I heard one of the soldiers announce to all the others that they were going to "Make those mutherfuckers PAY!" That they were going to exact on them ten times the pain, agony, death and suffering that American soldiers felt they had recently suffered. That they were going to "make the mutherfuckers feel like we feel right now!" That they were going to get revenge.

I get the anger. I get the rage. I get that I don't "get" it, too, in that I'm not in their shoes, I'm not experiencing what they went through. But watching it, it all seems sadly ridiculous. We are all One. Killing your enemy is actually killing a part of yourself. Shooting at and hating your enemy is shooting at and hating yourself. It's no wonder so many soldiers come home traumatized; they are attempting to squash the life force that they were born to embrace.

Here these men are - in the beautiful mountains, full of life and energy and enthusiasm - but fueled by fear.

I take the images I see on the television, and when the show is over, in my mind's eye, I turn it around.

I love them all unconditionally - the soldiers, the "enemy," the filmmakers, the families.


I create a new vision. In this vision, all the soldiers lay down their guns. They lose their desire to fight, but are still full of passion and energy and enthusiasm. They all sit down, close their eyes, and meditate.

Yes, these muscle-men full of testosterone silently meditate.

They breathe in the mountain air; they are at peace with themselves; and they focus on forgiving and loving themselves, thereby forgiving and loving the enemy.

They practice ho'oponopono, or whatever peace-bringing discipline works for them. And just as Dr. Hew Len used ho'oponopono to heal a ward of mentally ill criminals, the soldiers use ho'oponopono or their own choice of energy healing to heal the emotional wounds of the enemy and, at the same time, themselves.

They take their strong will and unwavering dedication and use to toward the goal of true inner and outer peace.

They offer no more resistance, but instead acceptance, forgiveness and love. And soon enough, there is no more war to fight because there is no more enemy on either side.

Peace has blanketed the land where war once raged, and the mountains are again a place of boundless joy and true freedom.

They all surrender - not to some self-created "enemy," but to the greater Love and Knowing that abounds.

All war has dissolved, and love again flows in.

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

No comments:

Post a Comment